• ChinaBooks.ch
  • Sunday, March 04, 2007

    Chengdu Botanical Garden
    Chinese Flowering Crabapple Garden


    On Saturday, March 3, I visited the Chengdu Botanical Garden to see the spring blossoms. The Garden has sections which are labeled [Chinese Flowering Crabapple Garden, Cherry Blossom Garden, Sweet-Scented Osmanthus Garden], but hardly any of the individual plants and trees have specific labels. Most visitors were picnicking in the Chinese Flowering Crabapple Garden which was the only garden in bloom. I believe the sign in this section [pictured above] was meant to read: "Chinese Flowering Crabapple Garden - The garden collects Hall Crabapple [Malus Halliana], Huph Crabapple [Malus hupehensis], Midget Crabapple [Malus micromalus], Quince [Chaenomeles] and Japanese Quince [Chaenomeles speciosa]. The former three species belong to Crabapple Genus, Rose Family; the latter two species belong to Flowering Quin Genus. Chinese Flowering Crabapple is the famous decorative flower at courtyard." [I've added what I think are the scientific names of the intended plants.] Since I am not very knowledgeable about these plants, I've posted pictures below in hopes that others might help to identify them. I've posted a picture of the tree or shrub followed by picture(s) of its blossoms. If you recognize any of them, please let me know; otherwise just enjoy the beautiful blossoms. Since the sign identifies five plants and I've posted eleven examples, some of my examples are obviously duplicates. Let me know what you think they are? Thanks.

    Exhibit #1


    Exhibit #2


    Exhibit #3


    Exhibit #4


    Exhibit #5


    Exhibit #6


    Exhibit #7


    Exhibit #8


    Exhibit #9


    Exhibit #10


    Exhibit #11

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home